Dairy Free Whipped Coconut Cream
Recently in our house, we have embarked on a new way of eating, we are now gluten, grain and dairy free. As such, we’ve started to look for alternatives for some of our favourite foods.
This year we are celebrating Christmas in July and my Pavlova Wreath is a family tradition. It’s a must on our menu. But what to do about the lovely cream topping? Coconut cream is a common replacement in cooking but I wasn’t sure how it would go being whipped, however, it goes quiet well.
Anytime you need cream in a recipe, you can use coconut cream, which makes whipping it for desserts such as my pavlova wreath easy (and delicious). Also, it’s great for anyone doing a low carb/high fat or ketogenic lifestyle (if they are lactose intolerant) by omitting or reducing the sugar or using another sweetener of choice, such as stevia.
800ml Coconut Cream
2 tsp White Sugar (or sweetener of choice)
2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Turn the cans of coconut cream upside down and refrigerate overnight or ideally for 24 hours.
- Insert butterfly into bowl.
- Scoop out the solid cream, leaving the watery part behind and add to the Thermomixer bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and whip for 2 mins/ speed 4.
- Store in the fridge until needed.
This whipped coconut cream is great with cake, on its own with berries or as a base for any recipe using whipped cream.
- If the cream and the watery part of the cream hasn’t separated particularly well, as it can sometimes happen, scoop what you can and then use a strainer to remove the more watery content.
- Add more or less of the sweetener or vanilla to suit your preference
- If reducing this recipe you may need to stop and scrape the bowl down a couple of times during the whipping stage.
Have you tried whipped coconut cream?